|Community Hospital Fitness Pointe Newsletter|
Tuesday, December 31st: 5am - Noon
Wednesday, January 1st: 5am - Noon
NO Group Exercise Classes today.
Child Care Hours:
Tuesday, December 31st: 8am - Noon
Wednesday, January 1st: 8am - Noon
Click the logos above to visit our website today!
IMPORTANT Membership Information
Fitness Pointe Members:
1. A friendly reminder to our members that if you should receive a new credit card number or expiration date to please update that information with the Member Relations Department as soon as possible in order for us to keep our records current, thank you.
2. As of February 1, 2014 Community Hospital will no longer accept American Express as a form of payment, this includes Fitness Pointe. If you use American Express as a method of payment for your monthly dues please see the attached letter concerning this change, thank you.
CLICK HERE to PRINT the Letter
New Year, New You!
Walk a Little...Lose a Lot Walk-a-Thon
Personal Training SALE
COACH Fitness 2014
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING NEW & EXCITING IN 2014?
TRY ONE OF OUR COACH PROGRAMS
The 8-week COACH program provides a small group training experience in specialty areas.
COACH Session #1 begins: Sunday, January 12th.
Registration begins: Thursday, January 2nd at the Fitness Desk.
Members - $128
Non-Members - $152
Click on the links below to see the calendar and class descriptions (they may take a minute to load)
COACH Session 1 Calendar
COACH Class Descriptions
*Any packages purchased at $120 in 2013 can be redeemed at
face value. An additional $8.00 per package fee will be assessed when redeemed in 2014.
NEW Chair Dance Class
ZUMBA for Kids on Family Day
Starting January 1st, 2014 ALL Current Fitness Pointe Members
will receive 10% OFF ALL SpaPointe Products
by showing their Fitness Pointe Membership Card.
*Discount may not be combined with other offers or discounts.
Click the link below to see the
SpaPointe Employee of the Month
and receive a Fitness Pointe Member Exclusive Offer.
SpaPointe Employee of the Month - January 2014
Have you ever walked around the upper level of Fitness Pointe, wondering what goes on in the small gym off the track?
Allow me to acquaint you with the Cardiac Rehabilitation Phase 3 Department. Cardiac Rehab-Phase 3 offers a supervised exercise program teaching correct warm-up/cool-down/muscular strength exercise techniques; evaluating heat rate, blood pressure, and EKG rhythm checks at rest and with exercise; and teaching a variety of education classes on risk factors for heart disease. Our program is case managed so it is individually tailored programming to meet each person's specific risk factors. We also offer public lectures ranging from HeartSmart for Kids to Women with Heart Disease as well as public screenings include peripheral artery disease (PAD), blood pressure, and diabetes.
Our staff consists of Registered Nurses and Masters-prepared Exercise Physiologists that have over 75 combined years of experience. We are dedicated to helping our patients succeed in their goals and enjoy life to its fullest regardless of their disease or limitations.
Cardiac Rehab-Phase 3 is a physician referred program. If someone you know struggles with getting healthier after a heart event or other problem, if they are dealing with numerous risk factors and don't know how to start managing them, or if they need some extra guidance on how to start an exercise program, we are the perfect place to get that needed help. For more information on our program, services, and screenings, please stop by the Cardiac Rehab department or call us at (219) 934-2830.
Best of Health to You,
Supporting your Feet
FREE Posture Screening
Ask the Physical Therapist
The Physical Therapy Department is also offering an
"Ask the Physical Therapist" Question & Answer Box
located in the Fitness Pointe lobby for written questions. These written questions
will be answered by a licensed physical therapist via phone or email.
Personal Trainer of the Month
*NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine - Performance Enhancement Specialist)
* CPT (Certified Personal Trainer) - Prairie State College
* Group Fitness Instructor -
Prairie State College
* B.S. Recreation -
Chicago State University
* Sport Specific Training
* Weight and Endurance Training
* Youth Training
* Senior Fitness
* Three years personal training experience
* Post therapy training/pre- existing injuries
* Trained three clients that lost a minimum of 40 lbs. in 6 months
Train your mind and your body will follow. It is not only the quantity of exercises that brings results, but it is also the quality of movement during physical activity and exercise that breeds results. I apply multi-planar movement patterns to ensure safety, scorch calories and to improve functional movement to achieve your fitness or sport specific goals.
Exercise of the Month
Shoulder Exercise Variations
ZUMBA Song of the Month
Care Giver Locker Room
Fitness Pointe is a Medical Fitness Facility so PLEASE remember that
Physical Therapy Patients, as well as
Fitness Pointe Members with disabilities/special needs, who need the assistance of a caregiver have FIRST PRIORITY with the use of the Care Giver Locker Rooms.
Members without special needs should be using the Men's/Women's Locker Rooms.
Your consideration is greatly appreciated.
Recipe of the Month
Chili Cornbread Casserole
Makes: 8 servings
Active Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound 95%-lean ground beef
- 2 15-ounce cans kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- To prepare chili: Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add beef and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in beans, tomatoes and their juice, chili powder, cumin, paprika and cayenne (if using). Bring to a boil; reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch (or similar 3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
- To prepare cornbread: Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, milk and oil in a medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients along with cilantro and stir until just combined. Transfer the chili to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with cheese. Spread the cornbread batter evenly over the chili.
- Bake the casserole until the top springs back when touched lightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare chili (Step 1); cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months; defrost chili (if frozen) and continue with the recipe, baking the casserole for 50 minutes. Or prepare and bake the casserole as directed; let cool for 1 hour; cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, then reheat at 350°F for 50 minutes.
Per serving: 494 calories; 18 g fat
(7 g sat , 7 g mono ); 86 mg cholesterol;
56 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars;
30 g protein; 13 g fiber; 799 mg sodium;
1046 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (44% daily value), Vitamin C (43% dv), Zinc (36% dv), Iron (34% dv), Calcium (31% dv),
Magnesium & Potassium (30% dv),
Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat, 1 fat