Recipe of the Month
Vegetable Lover's Chicken Soup
Classic comfort food is yours, in just slightly more than half an hour. Serve with some crusty whole-grain bread and top with grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.
2 servings, 2 cups each
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces chicken tenders, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 small zucchini, finely diced
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons orzo, or other tiny pasta, such as farfelline
- 1 1/2 cups packed baby spinach
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add zucchini, shallot, Italian seasoning and salt and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, wine and orzo (or other tiny pasta); increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the pasta is tender, about 8 minutes, or according to package directions. Stir in spinach, the cooked chicken and any accumulated juices from the chicken; cook, stirring, until the chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 261 calories; 8 g fat ( 1 g sat , 5 g mono ); 72 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 2 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 483 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat