In keeping with the mission of our healthcare system to improve the health status of all people within our community, Community Healthcare System will become a tobacco-free system on April 15, 2010
. Consequently, no tobacco products of any kind will be allowed on the property, grounds or parking areas belonging to any of our healthcare system facilities, including Fitness Pointe.
Need help quitting...check out some helpful site below.
|National Nutrition Month|
Eating right and being fit are keys to staying healthy throughout life. Because our nutrient needs change as we get older, it is important to know which foods offer the vitamins and minerals that will promote good health as we age.
Feel your best by learning how to make healthy food choices - especially those that are lower in calories and packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and other nutrients - and by being physically active every day.
For a dietary evaluation and counseling by a registered dietitian.
Call 219-934-2858 for an appointment and fees. Physician referral required.
|Spa Pointe Specials
March into a GREAT opportunity!|
Brocato Duo Liter Sale!
Stock up before they're all gone! (44-51% savings!)
Get a Free "Quick Results" Facial with any Tropicale Body Treatment. $35 value.
March 2010 Only!
Click above to be re-directed to the SpaPointe's website.
WORLD ROWING CHALLENGE!
March 15 - April 15, 2010
Come row and help Fitness Pointe's Rowing Team in the World Rowing Challenge (formerly know as the North American Rowing Challenge).
No sign up is required.
All you have to do is row at Fitness Pointe and record your meters in the Rowing Binder located in the Rowing Alcove.
All members can participate in the event. You don't have to be an avid rower to participate.
The annual Rowathon will be held on Saturday April 10th
We will have an incentive for first time rowers and a grand prize drawing for rowing participants - win a
One Year's Free Membership.
|Recipe of the Month
|Irish Chicken and Dumplings
Click the picture to the right to see the full recipe and nutritional information.
|Exercise of the Month|
Core Exercises to Improve Daily Function
Core exercises strengthen your abdominal, back, and pelvis muscles. Strong core muscles make it easier to do most physical activities. When performed daily, a core exercise can improve neuromuscular control, spinal stability, as well as reduce your risk of injury.
You can do core exercises on a carpeted floor or mat. Breathe freely and deeply during each exercise. Focus on tightening your deepest abdominal muscle - the transverse abdomin - during each exercise. This is the muscle you feel contract/tighten when you cough.
Target Muscles: - Abdominal. Low Back, Gluteal and Pelvic Muscles
Repetitions - Begin with 5 on each leg; work up to 15.
Lie with your knees bent and your arms and heels flat on the floor. Contract your abdominals by drawing in your navel. Push down through your heels and squeeze your glutes (buttocks) to raise your body into a straight line from knees to shoulders.
Next, bring one knee toward your chest. Hold briefly. Reverse the move, then repeat with your other leg. Keep your abdominals contracted and hips elevated to avoid "sagging" at any time during the movement.
Classes at Fitness Pointe
Tues, 3/2 - LifeFit - 1:00pm Click above for more information
Wed, 3/3 - Scoop on Protein, Facts on Fat - 6:30p
Mon, 3/8 - 7 Secrets to Developing a Fitness Program - 10am
Tues, 3/9 - Scoop on Protein, Facts on Fat - 11am
- LifeFit - 1pm
- Lap-Band! Is it right for me? - 6:30pm
Sat, 3/13 - Intro to Ballet - 8am
- Yoga & Pain Management -10am
Tues, 3/16 - LifeFit -1pm
Wed, 3/17 - What's the Big Deal about Metabolic Rate - 6pm
Thurs, 3/18 - Intro to Prenatal Exercise - 6pm
Mon, 3/22 - 7 Secrets to Developing a Fitness Program
- Strength Training for Women Over 40 - 6:30pm
Tues, 3/23 - What's the Big Deal about Metabolic Rate - 10am
- LifeFit - 1pm
Sat, 3/27 - Self Defense for Women - 10am
To register call: 836-3477 or 1-866-836-3477
|8 Ways to Improve Nutrition and Make Your RealAge Younger
From YOU: The Owner's Manual, by RealAge experts Michael F. Roizen, MD, and Mehmet C. Oz, MD
Follow these eight rules of eating, and you'll more easily manage your weight and improve your nutrition - all in one swoop.
1. Eat when you're hungry. And eat often, so you're never famished. But have your last meal at least three hours before bed.
2. Change your plates. Switch to 9-inch plates for meals, not the usual 11- or 13-inch variety. Smaller plates = smaller portions.
3. Eat these every day:
- Nine handfuls, total, of fruits and vegetables
- At least 1 ounce of nuts (a small handful)
- High fiber whole-grain bread or cereal, especially in the morning
4. Eat fish at least 3 times a week ideally salmon, mahi mahi, tilapia, catfish, or flounder.
5. Be a hot tomato. Eat at least 10 tablespoons of cooked tomato products (ketchup, marinara sauce) a week for a healthy dose of the antioxidant lycopene, which can decrease the risk of prostate and other cancers.
6. Avoid these like a hot potato:
- Anything that contains trans and/or saturated fats
- White foods -- white bread, white rice, white pasta, creamy sauces -- white tends to go with foods that are highly processed, high fat, or both
- Products that list simple sugars, including high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), in the first few ingredients; they put your blood sugar on a roller coaster that makes you crave high-calorie foods
7. Before you eat, drink. Have one or two glasses of water before every meal to help fill you up.
8. Take daily:
- Vitamins and minerals that contain at least 800 micrograms of folate, 400 international units of vitamin D, 1,200 milligrams of calcium, and 400 milligrams of magnesium. For more recommended daily amounts, click here.
- If you don't eat fish, an omega-3 supplement that contains 2 grams of these heart-healthy fatty acids.
Fitness Pointe's Coached Weight Loss Program
Coached Weight Loss is a program designed for adults who need to lose 10 pounds or more.
The program focuses on 5 Critical Control factors that have been proven effective for long term,
successful weight loss and management.
Call for more information or questions regarding our Coached Weight Loss Program
219-924-5348 ext. 490
Visit us today on Facebook and become a fan!
Community Hospital Fitness Pointe Click the icon to the right.