|Community Hospital Fitness Pointe Newsletter||
Dates to Remember:
Sunday, October 7 -
Cancer Resource Centre Romp & Roll
Wednesday, October 31st - Happy Halloween
Child Care will be closing at 3:00pm
Click the logos above to visit our websites and Fan Page today!
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
This October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month - a time to promote regular mammograms and increase early detection of breast cancer. About 1 in 8 women in the United States will get breast cancer. Other than skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common kind of cancer in women. Mammograms can help find breast cancer early when there is the best chance for treatment.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, breast cancer is the number one cause of cancer death in Hispanic women. It is the second most cause of death in White, African American, Asian/Pacific Islander, and American Indian/Alaska Native Women.
- Yearly mammograms are recommended starting at age 40 and continuing for as long as a woman is in good health.
- Clinical breast exam (CBE) about every 3 years for women in their 20s and 30s and every year for women 40 and over.
- Women should know how their breasts normally look and feel and report any breast change promptly to their health care provider. Breast self-exam (BSE) is an option for women starting in their 20s.
The American Cancer Society recommends that some women -- because of their family history, a genetic tendency, or certain other factors -- be screened with MRI in addition to mammograms. (The number of women who fall into this category is small: less than 2% of all the women in the US.) Talk with your doctor about your history and whether you should have additional tests at an earlier age.
|Click to visit the WDC website|
The 8 week COACH program provides a small group training experience in specialty areas.
NEW COACH class offerings:
- Body Blast Circuit
- Ropes, Bands, and Balls
Registration starts Sunday, October 7th
See an Exercise Instructor or stop by the Fitness Desk (lower level) for more information.
SpaPointe & Hair Studio
Click the link below to see
TWO UNBELIEVABLE OPPORTUNITIES
Spa Services Special
Click on the link below to see
the October Shop-Opportunities
|Click to visit our website|
Recipe of the Month
Spiced Apple Cider Muffins
From EatingWell: Winter 2004,
The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Cider doughnuts, a New England harvest treat, inspired these spice-happy muffins. A crumbly streusel topping made with a small amount of butter provides a delicious finish.
1 dozen muffins
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, (optional)
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple butter, such as Smucker's
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- To prepare streusel: Mix brown sugar, whole-wheat flour and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts, if using.
- To prepare muffins: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in apple butter, syrup, cider, yogurt and oil. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they'll be quite full). Sprinkle with the streusel.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
209 calories; 7 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono );
21 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
Exercise of the Month
Sand Bag Workout
with a Personal Trainer
Fitness Pointe Sand Bag Exercises
Moves Like Jagger
|Fitness Pointe - Moves Like Jagger.mp4|
Fall Back into...Fitness Pointe
October 7th - 20th
Get Daily Raffle Tickets by
Getting to know
YOUR Fitness Pointe Staff
and Learn GYM ETIQUETTE
Fitness Pointe Towels and Bags!
Personal Training Sessions!
50% off a COACH Session!
ONE MONTH'S DUES FREE!!!
Eat Smart Day
COMING BACK to Fitness Pointe this Fall...
EAT SMART DAY
Monday, November 12th.
This year we have ADDED MORE FREE lectures, food samples, upgraded interactive displays with a chance to WIN PRIZES and
FUN ACTIVITIES for the Child Care children.
Mark your calendar so you don't miss this fun and educational event!!