| HOME |
Senior Health Insurance
Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) is a FREE, confidential service from the Indiana Department of Insurance (IDOI) designed to assist seniors and Medicare beneficiaries with the often confusing details of insurance forms, policies and procedures. Our counselors are trained, certified and experienced volunteers, bilingual in English and Spanish. They don't sell anything and are not affiliated with any insurance company. They donate their time and energy to provide assistance for seniors who have questions or concerns about their health insurance. Our counselors can:
- Answer questions about Medicare, Medicare HMOs, Medicare supplement insurance, Medicaid, long-term insurance and the Indiana long term care program.
- Help you understand Medicare responses and organize your Medicare records.
- Educate you on the procedures required to file Medicare claims and to appeal Medicare decisions.
- Help you assess your needs so you can make an informed decision as to what type of health insurance coverage makes sense for you.
- Identify your rights as a Medicare beneficiary or health insurance policyholder.
- Show you how to evaluate the various Medicare supplement and long-term care insurance policies currently available.
- Provide you with further information through brochures, a long-term insurance self-assessment guide and current listing of insurance companies with Medicare supplement or long-term insurance policies approved for sale in the state, as well as policies that meet the requirements of the Indiana long term care program.
- Arrange for a speaker to make a community education presentation to your group or organization.
SENIORS: Get the information you need - in terms you can understand - by calling one of our SHIIP counselors today at 1-800-452-4800.