St. Helen’s Philoptochos Ladies Society donates $10,000 to Cardiac Research Foundation
The St. Helen’s Philoptochos Ladies Society, Chapter 2034, of Merrillville, presents a donation to Cardiovascular Surgeon Prakash Makam, M.D., who accepted it on behalf of The Foundation for Cardiovascular Research, a Service of Community Healthcare System. The Foundation is working to provide patient access to the latest advances being made in heart disease. Top row, left to right: Angie Bravos, co-chairperson; Kathy Logothetis; Nina Kyres. Back row, left to right: Maria Georgiadis; Angela Kotsinis; Prakash Makam, M.D.; JoAnn Massow, chairperson; Frances Klimis, president. Not pictured: Irene Batalis, Joann Georgeon; Maureen Gianikos; Sunday Johnson; Ann Kapotas; Yiota Nusis; Connie Stroumbakis; Filio Zarakas and Barbara Brkovich.
MERRILLVILLE -- St. Helen’s Philoptochos Ladies Society, Chapter 2034, of Merrillville, knows you don’t have to sacrifice what’s good for the soul when doing what’s good for the heart. A dinner dance they organized at the Hellenic Cultural Center in Merrillville allowed them to make a $10,000 donation in October to The Foundation for Cardiovascular Research, a Service of Community Healthcare System and give their guests a night of great fun to boot.
The Foundation is working to provide patient access to the latest advances being made in heart disease. The Foundation works through St. Catherine Hospital in East Chicago, Community Hospital in Munster and St. Mary Medical Center in Hobart.
Philoptochos means “friends of the poor.” Established in 1931, the Philoptochos Ladies Society is the official philanthropic organization of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in America. The Merrillville Chapter, based at Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Cathedral, has also worked with the Daughters of Penelope Chapter 81, and together have contributed thousands of dollars to local healthcare causes.