| HOME |
As the first in Northwest Indiana to perform open-heart surgery, St. Catherine Hospital is the area's leading choice for cardiovascular surgery. Should this course of treatment be recommended, our cardiac surgeons have extensive experience in performing open-heart surgery.
- Coronary bypass surgery - A healthy blood vessel is taken from the patient's leg or chest wall and used to detour around the blocked section of a coronary artery. Minimally Invasive Coronary Artery Bypass (MICAB) surgery is also used, depending upon the patient's condition.
- Heart-valve surgery - Repairs or replaced damaged heart valves.
- Pacemaker implantation - Corrects heart rhythm disturbances using an artificial device that sends electric signals to the heart.
- Arrhythmia surgery (implantable defibrillator) - An artificial device is implanted which continually monitors heart rhythms. When arrhythmia occurs, it automatically “shocks” the heart muscle to restore normal heartbeat.
- Thoracic aorta repair - Can be used in cases of thoracic aorta aneurysms, traumatic injury or dissection resulting from hypertension or other medical conditions.
- Emergency heart surgery - Our cardiac surgery team is on call to treat trauma victims, heart attack victims and other patients who may require emergency heart surgery.