| HOME |
St. Catherine Hospital 80th Anniversary
For a long time, East Chicago was a city without a hospital. Settled in the early 1890's, the idea of building a hospital didn't become reality until 1928. Heavily populated with industry, leaders at the time realized that injured workers would travel a long way to the nearest hospital. So, the Manufacturers Association of East Chicago appointed a committee to investigate the possibility of erecting a hospital. However, very soon the idea of a medical facility in East Chicago grew beyond the emergency needs of manufacturers and would be described by its planners as "an institution not only to take care of the plant accidents, but be a community hospital open to all persons regardless of race, creed or color."
On May 17, 1928, the hospital opened its doors thanks to a dream realized through a successful partnership between the Manufacturers Association of East Chicago and the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ (the Ancilla Domini Sisters). Many "first ever" procedures were performed at St. Catherine Hospital due to successful collaboration between doctors, nurses, staff and the community.
In 2001, St. Catherine Hospital became a member of the Community Healthcare System, ending the involvement of the Ancilla Domini Sisters although still maintaining its Catholic traditions. The hospital continues to uphold its founding commitments to the community, providing compassionate care to all who come through its doors.
After 80 years... the best care for your family is still right here at home.