| HOME |
The Joint Academy
St. Catherine's Joint Academy Keeps Patients Sailing
When it comes to orthopedic care, St. Catherine Hospital has been a demonstrated leader in the field, especially with its board-certified experts in orthopedic care. St. Catherine Hospital recognizes that education, including pre- and post-operative teaching, is a very important part of the healing process for such care and has taken its joint care to a higher level.
The Joint Academy and Hand Center, located on the hospital's fifth floor orthopedic unit, specializes in joint repair and replacement from hands, hips, shoulders and knees. Decorated with a nautical theme, the academy has been designed with a very supportive approach to joint care. The unit offers private suites with accommodations for a family member or friend who acts as a "coach' - someone designated in assisting with the patient's recovery.
The Joint Academy and Hand Center program begins with each patient being fully educated about his or her procedure prior to surgery, and continues with inpatient group therapy, followed by education and readiness for recovery at home. Each patient is assigned their own specialized, dedicated team of orthopedic professionals.
St. Catherine Hospital's joint replacement and hand patients are supported by board certified and fellowship-trained orthopedic physicians, specially trained orthopedic nursing staff and surgical technicians through the surgery phase of their procedure. After a short hospital stay, patients continue therapy after discharge at the Outpatient Rehabilitation Center based at the hospital where they receive education and follow up from certified physical therapists, occupational therapists and social workers.
Our orthopedic physicians use a combination of innovative techniques to provide the highest level of care to patients.
It is through a combination of inventive techniques in pain management; rapid rehabilitation and education that the Joint Academy and Hand Center is able to perform joint replacements that help patients increase their quality of life.
Through the Joint Academy and Hand Center's unique procedures, it allows patients to do everyday activities, such as walking, without pain. Although a joint replacement is a fairly large surgery, the Joint Academy has been designed to make it a pleasant patient experience; one that they feel more confident and comfortable about.
For more information about The Joint Academy and Hand Center of St. Catherine Hospital call (219)392-7601.
Features of The Joint Academy and Hand Center Program include:
- Board-certified and/or fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons, anesthesiologists and licensed nurses and therapists who specialize in the care of joint replacement patients.
- A dedicated Joint Care Coordinator who facilitates patient care from the pre-operative phase through discharge and recovery.
- Private rooms and beautifully designed with patient comfort in mind.
- Education of family and friends to enable them to participate as coaches in the recovery process.
- A patient guidebook that includes information on the plan of care from six weeks prior to surgery through discharge and outpatient recovery.
- A pre-operative orientation class for the patient and coach to help them feel confident in what to expect before, during and after surgery.
- Emphasis on group activities and therapies as well as an individualized plan of care.
- Group social time and lunches with other patients.
- Associated after-care program and follow-up.
- Quarterly reunion luncheons for former patients and their coaches.
- Public education seminars about hip, knee, shoulder, hand and elbow conditions and the latest in related technology and treatments.
- Educational and motivational tools such as a tracking board for walking progress and newsletters for the patients and family members.
Our dedicated team of physicians and staff take pride in providing quality care that gets our patients back to an improved quality of life, enjoying their newfound wellness.