| HOME |
St. Mary Medical Center Earns Blue Distinction Designation
The Joint Academy of St. Mary Medical Center is the only hospital in Northwest Indiana to earn designation as a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement by Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Indiana. Blue Distinction Centers for Knee and Hip Replacement is part of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association’s expansion of its Blue Distinction® designation.
As a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement, the Joint Academy at St. Mary Medical Center has demonstrated a commitment to quality care and offers comprehensive inpatient knee and hip replacement services, including total knee replacement, total hip replacement and hip resurfacing.
The Blue Distinction designation is awarded by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies to medical facilities that have demonstrated expertise in delivering quality healthcare in the areas of bariatric surgery, cardiac care, complex and rare cancers, knee and hip replacement, spine surgery and transplants. The program is part of The Blues® efforts to collaborate with physicians and medical facilities to improve the overall quality and safety of specialty care. The goal is to help consumers find quality specialty care on a consistent basis, while enabling and encouraging healthcare professionals to improve the overall quality and delivery of care nationwide.
The selection criteria used to evaluate facilities were developed with input from a panel of expert physicians. To be designated as a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement, the following types of criteria were evaluated:
- Established acute care inpatient facility, including intensive care, emergency care, and a full range of patient support services with full accreditation by a CMS-deemed national accreditation organization
- Experience and training of program surgeons, including case volume
- Quality management programs, including surgical checklists as well as tracking and evaluation of clinical outcomes and process of care
- Multi-disciplinary clinical pathways and teams to coordinate and streamline care, including transitions of care
- Shared decision making and preoperative patient education
To learn more about our Joint Academy program or to tour our facility, call 219-945-4365.