| HOME |
The Joint Academy of
St. Mary Medical Center
Features of The Joint Academy program include:
- Board-certified and/or fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons; anesthesiologists and licensed nurses and therapists who specialize in the care of joint replacement patients.
- A dedicated Joint Care Coordinator who facilitates patient care from the preoperative phase through discharge and recovery.
- All-private rooms designed with patient comfort in mind.
- Education of family and friends to enable them to participate as "coaches" in your recovery process.
- A patient guidebook that includes information on the plan of care from six weeks prior to surgery through discharge and outpatient recovery.
- A pre-operative orientation class for the patient and "coach" to help them feel confident in what to expect before, during and after surgery.
- Emphasis on group activities, as well as individual care.
- Group lunches with other patients.
- Associated after-care program and follow up.
- Quarterly reunion luncheons for former patients and coaches.
- Public education seminars about hip, knee and shoulder conditions, and the latest in related technology and treatments.
- Educational and motivational tools, such as a tracking board for walking progress and daily newsletters for the patient and family members.